It’s that time of year again! You know – just before the new year crunch. The time where you eat, drink and are merry, and who cares about the consequences?
Well, it doesn’t have to be like that. This year you can #FeelTheBreeze and have it all: maximum taste, maximum health and easy recipes!
We have put together a totally scrumptious guilt-free three course meal – and each of our festive recipes are simple to make and look and taste amazing.
If you thought butternut soup was boring, think again! This soup will have your guests guessing about the secret ingredient that gives it that something extra. A subtle sweetness that can only come from apples. And that deep orange colour? Sweet potatoes!
Butternut & Sweet Potato Soup
– 1 cup Almond Breeze Almond Milk Sweetened Original or Almond Breeze Almond Milk Unsweetened Original
– 2 tablespoons coconut oil
– 2 onions, diced
– 2 medium butternuts, peeled and cubed (5-6 cups)
– 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1 cup)
– 2 green apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
– 6 cups vegetable stock
– 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon curry powder
– 1-2 teaspoons freshly ground ginger
– Pinch of nutmeg
– 2 teaspoons sea salt
Croutons: (PS. Your choice of bread may not be lactose free)
– Baguette or ciabatta broken or cut into small cubes
– 1 tablespoon olive oil per 1 cup bread cubes
– Salt and ground pepper
– Optional Seasoning: Garlic powder, onion powder, fresh herbs (thyme or rosemary), dried basil or Italian seasoning
– Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
– Add onions and cook until translucent (7-10 minutes).
– Add in the cubed butternut, sweet potato, apple, vegetable stock, cinnamon, curry powder, ginger and nutmeg.
– Gently stir.
– Turn up the heat to medium-high, cover, and cook for 25-35 minutes or until veggies are fork-tender.
– Turn off the heat.
– Using a blender, begin to purée the soup, adding in the Almond Breeze Almond Milk and sea salt after a few minutes.
– Blend until smooth.
– Garnish with chopped parsley or coriander and serve hot.
– Preheat oven to 200 °C.
– Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
– Tear or cut the bread into small pieces.
– Place in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
– Add salt and pepper and optional seasoning.
– Toss the bread evenly to coat.
– Arrange bread mixture in a single layer on the prepared tray.
– Bake for 10-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until brown and crispy.
– Cool on tray.
Yes, we know that heavy, rich sauces and meats are traditional this time of year, but isn’t it time that we broke away from that Northern Hemisphere influence? When the sun is shining, we need something that is light and flavourful. Our Chicken Wrap with Cashew Basil Spread, made with the rich and creamy flavour of Almond Breeze Almond Milk, is next level delicious.
Chicken Wrap with Cashew Basil Spread
Makes 375 ml
– 250 ml tightly packed basil leaves
– 200 g cashew nuts, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
– 125 ml sesame seeds
– 160 ml Almond Breeze Almond Milk Unsweetened Original
– 1 large clove garlic, crushed
– 30 ml lime juice
– 5 ml salt flakes
– Optional: 30 ml nutritional yeast (available from health shops)
– Combine all the ingredients for the spread in a food processor and process until smooth.
– Spread on wraps and top with sliced smoked chicken, sprouts, grated carrots, tomato, rocket, onions and any other vegetable toppings of your choice.
– Roll up and cut in half.
And then for desert. Ah… desert! It is a sweet trap, but you can go for the healthier option without compromising on taste. Our truly decadent chocolate ice cream, containing the rich creamy flavour of Almond Breeze Unsweetened almond milk, is simple to make and is the perfect end to a festive feast.
– 3 cups Almond Breeze Almond Milk Unsweetened Original
– 6 large egg yolks
– ¾ cup sugar
– ⅓ cup cocoa powder
– ¼ tsp xanthan gum (for thickening)
– 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
– In a saucepan, combine the cocoa powder and half of the almond milk. Stir until combined. Add remaining almond milk and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally (2-3 minutes).
– In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until they become lighter in colour. Gradually add the sugar to the egg yolks while blending until all the sugar is evenly mixed through and dissolved. Please note, the mixture will thicken with the addition of the sugar.
– Next, add the almond milk mixture gradually into the egg and sugar mixture and blend until everything is mixed together thoroughly.
– Sift the xanthan gum into the mixture and mix thoroughly.
– Add vanilla essence and mix thoroughly.
– Pour ice-cream mix into chosen container, cover and freeze for at least 8 hours.
Didn’t we say cooking this festive season would be a breeze?