Why health? I ask myself everyday why I am in this industry. For me, it’s about feeling good. We all want to wake up every morning feeling like we can conquer the world. As petrol powers a car, food provides the body with energy. That’s why I am very conscious of the type of food I consume and what effect it has on my body. This is one of the reasons I gave up dairy and have converted to a healthier alternative called Almond Breeze Almond Milk. This delicious alternative to dairy allows me to enjoy my favourite latte without any of the side effects!
To keep in shape and feel great, here are five steps I follow:
- Try to lower your calorie intake. Switching to lower calorie food options will help you maintain a healthier lifestyle. For example, one serving of Almond Breeze Almond Milk Unsweetened contains half the calories found in low fat and skim milk.
- Go lactose free. Many people are lactose intolerant without even knowing it. I read that about 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. You may find that your skin clears up, your stomach doesn’t ache and you don’t have a runny nose after giving up dairy. Give it a try!
- Exercise is one of the most important parts in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It helps maintain or lose weight which therefore reduces the risk of getting some diseases. Depending on your fitness level and where you want to be physically will depend on how often you should work out every week. Generally speaking, you should exercise for 30 minutes, 3-5 times per week. Simple changes like taking the stairs, parking at the furthest point, walking the dog and cleaning the house vigorously all help!
- Home cooking. I really enjoy the time in my kitchen cooking tasty but healthy meals. Takeaways are an easy and tasty option but you don’t know what you are eating. What you put in your body is very important and helps your overall vitality. Try mix things up by adding cayenne pepper, turmeric, low sodium soy sauce and Almond Breeze Almond Milk to make your dishes come alive.
- Eat breakfast. You have probably heard this before but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s also one of my favourite meals. Having a nutritious breakfast helps to kick-start your day.
Try one of my favourite high protein oatmeal recipes made using Almond Breeze.
- 1/3 cup of egg whites
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of Almond Breeze Almond Milk Unsweetened
- ½ serving of any whey protein powder
- ½ serving of any casein protein Powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup of your favourite fruits or berries
- Mix 1 cup of rolled oats & 1 cup of your favourite Almond Breeze Almond Milk or more if you like your oats creamy
- Cook in microwave for 2-3 minutes and add 1/3 cup of egg whites and microwave for another 60 seconds
- Add in 1/2 serving of any whey protein powder & 1/2 serving of any casein protein powder (for thickness & taste).
- Mix everything until it becomes a thick chocolate batter.
- Top off with ground cinnamon and your favourite chopped fruits or berries on top. Enjoy!