THE PERFECT RECIPE TO HELP KEEP YOU WARM THIS WINTER
Winter is here but you can keep warm with this hearty recipe
There’s nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s night. This mouth-watering butternut and sweet potato soup recipe is a great choice for winter because it’s hearty, delicious and loaded with health benefits.
The great thing about combining butternut squash with sweet potato is that they each have their own nutritional benefits.
Butternut is rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium and vitamins B6 and E.
And sweet potato is a rich source of fibre and protein, contains vitamins and minerals including iron, and is a good source of vitamin C.
Go on and give this recipe a try!
Butternut & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Original or Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 medium butternuts, peeled and cubed (5-6 cups)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1 cup)
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly ground ginger
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Baguette or ciabatta broken or cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil per 1 cup bread cubes
- Salt and ground pepper
- Optional Seasoning: Garlic powder, onion powder, fresh herbs (thyme or rosemary), dried basil or Italian seasoning
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent (7-10 minutes).
- Add in the cubed butternut, sweet potato, apple, vegetable stock, cinnamon, curry powder, ginger and nutmeg.
- Gently stir.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high, cover, and cook for 25-35 minutes or until veggies are fork-tender.
- Turn off the heat.
- Using a blender, begin to purée the soup, adding in the Almond Breeze Almond Milk and sea salt after a few minutes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or coriander and serve hot.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Tear or cut the bread into small pieces.
- Place in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper and optional seasoning.
- Toss the bread evenly to coat.
- Arrange bread mixture in a single layer on the prepared tray.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Cool on tray.